Re: Hylafax future (*not* on NT, please!)

Hello !

On Thu, 18 Sep 1997, Leslie Mikesell wrote:

> Your earlier point about 'fitting' into a system indicates that you should
> make use of the best existing techniques to get the job done.  Samba does
> a good job of delivering postscript from a windows printer driver to
> the server.  The missing piece is an interactive dialog box that is
> _controlled_by_the_server_.  This is something that could be used in many
> more applications and would complete the circle for HylaFax.  Respond
> does it well enough to work for HylaFax, but what we really need is
> an HTML forms interpreter (or some reasonable subset) that could be
> poped up on demand by the remote server.  This could be used by any
> server-based application that needed fill-in-the-form response(s) from
> a user.

	I feel, that the solution with samba may be work, but its not a
very clean, nice solution. Why you may ask. I don't feel very comfortable
with ps documents travelling in the network with the intention to send
them as a fax without having an faxnumber attached to them. The risk to
produce a mess with them is waiting in the corner.

	This approach may work without any problem with one User sending
one or maybe ten faxes per day. If you have 50 Users a 10 Faxes per day
you may get problems.

	Hylafax is a complex technical system. Samba is also a complex
technical system. If you join two technical systems together in the way
you do it with hylafax and samba the availability of the system drop
rapidly.

Kind regards.
	Richard

-----