Re: Flexfax problem

> Please help.
>
> I'm uing Flexfax 4.0 pl1 on AIX 4.1.4. Sometimes modems lose connections
> with the server and I cant find a way to restart a modemconnection.
> I've tried killing the faxgetty process, removing lock files etc.
> Faxstat always says : Initializing modem, and then Waiting for modem to
> come ready.
> I've used rc.local to hack faxgetty into inittab, but it doesn't seems
> to work.

About every 3 months one of our 7 modems becomes wedged, usually after
we run out of paging space or do something really stupid.  This is under
AIX 3.2.5, but there is nothing else short of a reboot that I have been
able to find that will get them going again.

I didn't throw this together, one of the guys I work with did, and there
is alot of redundant stuff in it, but our attitude around here is...., if
it doesn't hurt to hit it with a big hammer....

It appears the act of getting an AIX "getty" running on the port is what
does the trick.

Try this "HACK"

pdisable tty1 					# won't accomplish anything
chdev -l tty1 -a login=disable 			# Not necessary but done anyway
sleep 2
/etc/chitab "tty1:2:respawn:/etc/getty /dev/tty1"
penable tty1						# probably unnecessary
sleep 5
pdisable tty1
sleep 2
chdev -l tty1 -a login=disable ; sleep 2
/etc/chitab "tty1:2:respawn:/usr/local/sbin/faxgetty /dev/tty1"

Good Luck,

--
	Steve Williams, Calgary, Alberta, Canada
	Genie Computer Systems Inc.

Project hosted by iFAX Solutions