Re: WHFC and NT - '': Command not understood - progress?

>On Tue, 30 Sep 1997, Alan Sparks wrote:

[snip]
>> there too.  If I Windows telnet into port 25, I get Sendmail, and can
talk
>> via typed commands fine.  If I telnet into port 4557 or 4559, I get the
>> Hylafax banner, but the "Syntax error" returned for anything I type (like
>> QUIT).
>
>Hmm. This is wrong. Are you certain about the /etc/services entries
>and the way you are starting the HylaFAX daemons? You might take a
>look at my SunOS notes at
> http://cirl.harvard.edu/~raoul/INSTALL-sunos4.1.x-v4.0pl1.php

OK.  Seems to be set up pretty much as you write, and the thing works
apparently pretty good.  Services entry is fine, and daemons started using
the hylafax script.
(This *isn't* included in the 4.0pl1 binary dist for SunOS... had to get it
from source dist).

>What are you telnetting with in this case? The sun server, or a Windows
box,
>or what?

Running the standard Windows NT telnet client, connecting to the Sun server,
explicitly to port 4559 (and getting the banner from hfaxd, so definitely
the right port).

>> Telnet sessions from another Sun or HP box work fine under these
scenarios.

>> My big question at this point is whether there is some socket-based
>> irregularity on the hfaxd side, some socket option or whatever, that is
>> making hfaxd not read the input correctly.
[snip]

>My suspicion is that the telnet client you are using stinks and that
>it a failure of the telnet, not the hfaxd, but that is merely a guess.

It *is* a Mickeysoft product, granted...;-) That ignores the fact that the
same client can connect and negotiate well with other command-protocol-based
servers like sendmail, and that the same message is displayed by WHFC (which
ain't MS).

> Nico Garcia
> Engineer, CIRL
> Mass. Eye and Ear Infirmary