Re: HW/SW flow control?

At 01:13 AM 9/19/97 -0700, John Conover wrote:
>Under Linux, with:
>
>    /bin/stty crtscts < /dev/cua2
>
>in /etc/rc.d/*, for high speed data dial in/dial out, how do you set
>up hylafax so that it uses xon/xoff, (which is required by the modem)
>for fax dial in/dial out?
>
>I mean, if the port is set for crtscts, won't a problem ensue if
>hylafax is doing xon/xoff?

Nope, one can definitely do both, but through-put will suffer slightly, if
you have a lot of X-on/X-off signals.

I strongly suggest that you burn your modem's base setup into the NOVRAMS
and restore with a ATZn initializer. If the set-up for FAX is different
than Data then all modern modems, these daze, have two complete NOVRAM
spaces. I use set-up 0 for data and 1 for FAX. Burn 0 with ATW0 and 1 with
ATW1. Then send either ATZ0, or ATZ1, to switch between them. You should
always do a moden reset and init between calls anyway. Both before AND
*after* the session.

BTW, I also kill MNP5 negotiation and force V.42 with LAP-M. All set once
in the NOVRAMS.

One major benefit is that my modems are all run the same way, regardless of
individual idiosyncracies, and I don't have to remember which modems do
what. I can now swap brands/types of modems around and never have to change
my software set-ups.

Morgan Hill Software Company, Inc.
Roeland M.J. Meyer (RM993)
e-mail:			mailto:rmeyer@mhsc.com
Web-pages:	http://www.mhsc.com/~rmeyer
Web-site:		http://www.mhsc.com
Colorado Springs, CO - Livermore, CA - Morgan Hill, CA

Project hosted by iFAX Solutions