Re: PLEASE HELP!!!! :( :( :(

On Tue, 9 Sep 1997, Richard Powell wrote:

> Hello Hylafax Folks,
>
> I'm having transmission trouble, and would appreciate any assistance you
> can provide.  I've searched the faq's and help files at the web site, but
> have had no luck.
>
> CPU		: Pentium 150MHz
> OS		: Linux 2.0.20
> HylaFax	: v4.0pl1-1
> Modem		: Practical Peripherals 33.6 (PM 336 HC INET)
> 		  Class 1 & 2 support, configured for class 2

I recently took a shot at one of PPI's 33.6 modems and had little
luck.  Despite the labels on the box (which said "28.8 modem, Class
1&2" and a tag saying "NOW 33.6!!!"), it was not a functional Class 2
modem. It's only useful as Class 1.

I also had considerable difficulty (not having the spare time)
figuring out how this Class 1 modem could identify itself as PPI to
get it to use a configuration file for just that class of modem.
Since the !@#$ manuals lack a list of the complete modem commands,
I asked around on the list and gave it up as a bad job.

> 	This is my 3rd modem in an attempt to disqualify the modem as a problem.
>
> When ever transmitting a fax over a certain size, (around 500 bytes ascii)
> the receiving modem fails to receive all of the fax.  The 500 bytes
> translates to about 7,000 bytes when it gets converted to a .ps file.  I'm
> assuming that since the info/* files for the fax machines I'm sending to
> say supportsPostScript:no that these files are being converted to .tif for
> transmission.

Have you tried preconverting the files and viewing them with "viewfax"
from ftp://ftp.sgi.com/sgi/fax/contrib/ to confirm that all the
formatting is correct?

> In some cases, the fax server receives the error -- "Unable to transmit
> page (giving up after 3 attempts)", while the receiving fax receives 3
> exact duplicates of the incomplete fax.  In other cases, the fax server
> receives NO error, but the receiving fax receives an incomplete fax with an
> OK status.
>
> Receiving fax's of 9600 baud receive significanltly less fax data then a
> 14400 baud receiving fax before failing to complete.

Hmm. flow control, maybe? You got configuration files, showing what
you use for flow control, etc.?

			Nico Garcia
			Engineer, CIRL
			Mass. Eye and Ear Infirmary