Help: hfaxd says "cant stat /dev/null" (2nd try)

Hello,

I've send this problem once and have got several hints how to solve it,
but they didnt help, so I post this again. Perhaps now someone can
figure out where my problem is.

> I have the following problem setting up hylafax:
> hfaxd exits immediately with the following message in syslog:
>
> "Jun 18 19:52:09 cygnus HylaFAX[1014]: stat(/dev/null): No such file
> directory"
>
> Here's my configuration for the fax server:
>
> PC 486/33, 8MB RAM
> Linux based on Slackware (with several updates)
> hylafax_4_0_1_orig.tar.gz / Linux-binary version

To complete the facts which were indicated in your mails:
- I've run faxsetup (several times now)
- /dev/null exists, works fine, and you can be "stat"ed (done it
manually)
- hfaxd is owned by root and has permissions -rwsr-xr-x, suid is set
- /var/spool/fax/dev/ is empty. What should be there? Can I set this up
manually? The error message in syslog references "/dev/null".
- hfaxd is called by inetd (if I try to connect) and exits at once.

Can now somebody figure out what this strange message means.

Thanx in advance
	Joe

PS: Please answer with email to me, not to the mailing list, i'm not
subscribed...

| Johannes Beck                                     \
| email: beck@ki-server.informatik.uni-wuerzburg.de  \
| http://ki-server.informatik.uni-wuerzburg.de/~beck/ \
|                                                      +----+
| Am Hoelzlein 35   97076 Wuerzburg       Tel.: 0931/275841 |