FrameMaker ps file Solution!

I finally got FrameMaker PS documents to work with gs 4.03. This is a
bit of a hack, but it works.

FrameMaker docs want to set there own size when they print. This
causes problems because the page comes out 1734 pixles wide, instead
of 1728. Fixing involves changing ps2fax to use -dFIXEDMEDIA, the tail
end of which now look like:

a$CAT $fil | $PS -q \
    -sDEVICE=$device \
    -dNOPAUSE \
    -dSAFER=true \
    -sPAPERSIZE=$paper \
    -dFIXEDMEDIA \
    -r204x$vres \
    "-sOutputFile=$out" \
    -
With this alone though, FrameMaker docs just spit out a message that
they can't set the page size. I then I added the following to gs_init.ps:

% Ignore PageSize change requests. This is to make FrameMaker documents
% work with Hylafax. ps2fax needs -dFIXEDMEDIA as well.
<< /Policies << /PageSize 1 >> >> setpagedevice

Since gs looks for its files in the current directory, I copied
gs_init.ps to where I have my Hylafax installed. In my case,
/var/spool/fax. This way my kludge won't interfere with other uses of
gs. When ps2fax runs, the current directory is /var/spool/fax

Having done that, FrameMaker 4.0 and 5.0 documents that were formated
for letter size come out just fine. Horraaaayyyy!

Andy

Project hosted by iFAX Solutions