HylaFAX v4.0pl1 with USR Courier V.Everything

To whom it may concern:

   I downloaded the latest version of HylaFAX (V4.0pl1) and tried to use
it with my USR Courier V.Everything. Unfortunately it does not work. Here
is a description of the model and the incompatibilities/bugs that I found.

MODEM:
  Manufacturer: U.S. Robotics
  Model: Courier V.Everything
  Latest Firmware Revision Tried: Supervisor 09/20/96 DSP 07/29/96

OPERATING SYSTEM:
  Linux Distribution: Slackware96
  Linux Kernel Version: 2.0.27
  GCC Version: 2.7.2
  TIFF Library Version: 3.4

SYSTEM:
  CPU: Pentium 75MHz
  RAM: 64MB

INFO:
  My system is stnadalone, so I would like just to send and receive faxes
in the simplest way. This seems not to be possible. I don't seems to find
information about running the client programs without too much hussle.

  I have decided to use the fax server to try the program. However, I
always get the same error, it does not matter what program I call.

>faxstat
Service not available, remote server closed connection
>ftp localhost 4559
Connected to localhost.
421 Service not available, remote server has closed connection
ftp> quit
>telnet localhost 4559
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.
Escape character is '^]'.
Connection closed by foreign host.

   I have gone through all the man pages and the troubleshooting
documentation. There is not any error similar to this one. I checked that
the compilation procedure was bug-free and everything checked correctly
except for a couple of getty programs (/sbin/vgetty and /sbin/egetty),
which I read are not indispensible.

   I have run hfaxd with inetd and alone. I has not worked either way.

   Messages in /var/adm/messages are

Jan 11 01:53:53 apricot HylaFAX[1301]: HylaFAX INET Protocol Server: restarted.

   Messages in /var/adm/syslog are

Jan 11 01:45:55 apricot HylaFAX[1257]: CAUGHT SIGNAL 11
Jan 11 01:49:01 apricot HylaFAX[1283]: CAUGHT SIGNAL 11
Jan 11 01:53:30 apricot HylaFAX[1225]: CAUGHT SIGNAL 11

(one for everytime the connection was dropped).

   Can anybody help me?

   Thanks,

	Gabriel

Project hosted by iFAX Solutions