Re: OCR

On Jan 2, 11:55am, Scott J. Kramer wrote:
> Subject: Re: OCR
> On Thu,  2 Jan 1997 14:56 +0200, Eric Smith wrote:
>
>     Can anyone recommend an OCR utility to use in conjunction with hylafax.
>     I travel with a pocket VT100 Terminal Emulator and would like to read
>     incoming faxes arriving at my server.  I figure this is the only way to
>     do this.
>
> Are you trying to convert faxes to ASCII format?  There are utilities
> for converting TIFF fax format to PostScript (`fax2ps' or `tiff2ps')

Umm, won't that just produce a PostScript bitmap or image representation of the
TIFF/fax file.

> and PostScript to ASCII (`ps2ascii'), but I suspect the results would

whereas this will strip out text associated with a "show" command within a
PostScript file (which the converted TIFF won't contain).

Sorry, can't help on the OCR front.

--

   Don Thompson, Technical Support Team - UNIX

Project hosted by iFAX Solutions