Hylafax Developers Mailing List Archives

[hylafax-devel] Re: [hylafax-users] Re: config/usr-2.0

"Jay R. Ashworth" <jra@baylink.com> writes:

> >> Yes, they should be.  I've left them there for possible future
> >> alterations.
>
> > No way! Most of them should *never* be changed. By the way, some parameters
> > may be autodected, e.g. ModemType.
>
> I can understand both viewpoints, Dmitry.  Yes, 95% of them shouldn't
> be changed... but most people won't be poking around in that file
> anyway; and it *can* be useful to have all the config parameters in a
> template file; even geeks misplace the manuals.

Your decide, but I think anyone would prefer a compact readable config,
that contains only those values, that really can be changed.

[...]

> >>                      but I'm just trying to help in what I can. If I could
> >> get my hands on one of these unreliable modems I'd like to see the problem
> >> first-hand.  I've noticed that commercial software doesn't always make an
> >> effort to go beyond the necessary, so it's no surprise that they simply
> >> disable Class 2.0 altogether.
>
> > IMHO wise choice. It's better to use Class1 which is very simple and
> > error-free for most modems, than try to work around all those buggy
> > Class2.* firmwares. Also note, that some fax protocol features can be only
> > implemented using Class1: error-correction mode (ECM), binary file transfer
> > (BFT), gray-scale mode and many others. The only problem is that you need
> > *good* Class1 software.
>
> Well, yeah, Dmitry, but this can get dicey when you have 400 modems on
> the same machine, no?  :-)

No :-)

Read the following thread, and you'll see :-)

http://www.hylafax.org/archive/developers/Y2000-Q2/msg00140.html
http://www.hylafax.org/archive/developers/Y2000-Q2/msg00142.html
http://www.hylafax.org/archive/developers/Y2000-Q2/msg00138.html
http://www.hylafax.org/archive/developers/Y2000-Q2/msg00141.html

> Dmitry; you sound like you've groveled in the code enough; you might
> have an idea on this.  Have you been near the DestControls parsing
> code?
>
> There have been several requests in the past for the ability to
> decide which modem to use to send a job based on the destination phone
> number -- this is useful, for example, in situation where you have a
> foreign exchange line to a different toll area.
>
> It seems to me that if the list of things that the destctrls file can
> change could be extended to include ModemGroup (formerly ModemClass),
> you could redefine "Any" to be only the modems that are appropriate
> for that destination.
>
> Do you know that code, does this sound sane, and does that processing
> happen early enough (ie: before modem selection) to make it possible?

I have not hacked DestControl yet, but think it's possible.

Hope to hear from you soon,
Dmitry