[hylafax-users] HylaFAX and Winmodems

I am evaluating a fax installation using HylaFAX. My setup is as follows. I have installed the fax server as a VMWare image on a windows host the modem is wired to the linux virtual machine via VMWare. This way I can make sure that I have access to the widest range of modems installed on the Windows host and get rid of driver issues on linux. Please don't tell me why. Good old hardware modems are fast going out of market and cheap Conexant Winmodems are a commodity nowadays.
Now comes the irritation. Fax reception is generally OK but sending fax is a pain in the rear. Out of the various makes and models that I have tested, the majority fail with errors like "no response to PPS", "no response to EOP", "modem stop and wait failure" and "failed to train the remote host". You can argue that they are cheap and sensitive to line conditions... BUT why o why Windows Fax works flawlessly on the same machine and using the same fax modem when HylaFAX miserably fails.
Please for the love of God entertain me as to how Windows fax differs from HylaFAX from a technical point of view? Isn't TAPI Unimodem an abstraction over the AT Commands interface of the modem? And finally is there a hack to improve fax sending capabilities of HylaFAX for Winmodems?

Project hosted by iFAX Solutions