[hylafax-users] Automated print-to-fax

I am attempting to create a Hylafax process to replace a RightFAX feature that sends a fax when a client prints to a pseudo-printer.

I’m using a script that worked for someone once upon a time with just a little modification (cupsfax, attached) that extracts the fax-to number from the print stream.

Printing to the printer on the client system does cause the script to execute on the Hylafax server, but I’m seeing some errors:

“D [22/Jan/2011:06:53:52 -0600] [Job 6] /etc/cups/interfaces/HPFAX: Permission denied”

I was originally thinking the application couldn’t access /etc/cups/interfaces/HPFAX (-rwxr-xr-x), but now think this may be something within the file that causes the permission-denied error. /etc/cups/interfaces/HPFAX is a copy of cupsfax (attached).

Permissions of the files that are explicitly named in cupsfax seem OK.

I’m wondering about ‘FAXFILE=$6’  “The file to print”  Permission is –rw-r-----. I assume this is OK ‘cause that’s how the file is created in the spool directory.

When I get past this issue, I think I’m going to be wondering how to make this work with a pcl file vs. a ps file.

I’d really appreciate any help.

--Don