Re: [hylafax-users] What user does FaxNotify run under?

On Wed, Oct 27, 2010 at 2:07 PM, <jwarren@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> I have a FaxNotify script that is used to process our queue folders that allow faxes to be processed between our Hylafax server and a Windows server. These scripts need to move, delete and change owner on files in these folders. I'm having a problem inside the scripts in that I can't execute any rm, chmod or chown commands without getting a either a "Permission denied or Operation not permitted" error. If I know the user FaxNotify is running under it may explain why I'm having a problem.

$SPOOL/bin/notify (the default one w/ HylaFAX processes FaxNotify) is
run by faxq, as the uucp user that faxq by default normally running
as.

Linux (like many unixes) doesn't allow a user to "give away" file
ownership.  If you want a file to be owned by a non-uucp user, you'll
either need to make a special suid program to do that change for you,
or move queue the file somewhere to have a root-running job to change
ownership.

a.