[hylafax-users] Experiences with Diva Server ISDN card

Hi everybody,

to save others some hours of debugging:

I just changed my fax server's ISDN card from an AVM B1 (with capifhylafax) to a Dialogic Eicon Diva Server BRI-2M and the tty interface from hylafax. (c4h proved unreliable wit multi page documents, leaving the second and following pages blank.)

My setup:
Eicon Diva Server BRI-2M PCI (v 1.0)
Debian lenny
Hylafax 4.4.4

There are two different driver stacks available for the Diva Server cards:
- "Diva Server for Linux" from Dialogic, which you can download from their web site (after registration). It contains the driver, several (closed source) tools and a web configuration interface.
- "Divas driver" from melware.org (AFAIK the open source part from the Dialogic driver). Just the driver and the configuration and maintenace tools.

As I just wanted a slim system, I choose the Divas driver (in the newest Version V3).

CAVEAT: There are some diva driver modules alread in the kernel module tree. They are from an older version of the Divas driver. Do not mix them up!

Both driver stacks are source only an must be built with the kernel sources of the target system. (So you have to install the kernel sources for the kernel you are running and the tools needed (gcc, make etc.) The build process is described in the README files and went through without a problem.

After the build and install you need to configure the card. As it is a very powerful piece of hardware, you have some more configuration options, which are quite well documented. If you are familiar with ISDN, it should not be a problem. In doubt it is a good idea to use the default value.

For hylafax you need the tty interface and, of course, activated fax support. If you don't use the capi interface for any other purpose, you may keep it deactivated.

After configuring and loading the driver there should be a set of tty devices (ttyds01 and ttyds02) and a directory tree in /proc/net/eicon.

Add the modem(s) with faxaddmodem. The relevant configuration item are below:

#####

RingsBeforeAnswer:      2    	# get CID values between 1st and 2md ring

ModemType:              Class2
ModemRate:              57600   # Diva Server supports V.34-fax
ModemFlowControl:       rtscts
ModemNoFlowCmd:         AT&K0
ModemSoftFlowCmd:       AT&K4
ModemHardFlowCmd:       AT&K3

Class2APQueryCmd:       none
Class2SPLCmd:           none
Class2TBCCmd:           none
Class2ECMType:          2.0     # follows Class 2.0 spec, not Class 2
Class2UseHex:           true    # Diva drivers response in HEX format

# Select CID mode, bind Modem to Controller 1 and set incoming
# and outgoing MSN
ModemResetCmds:         AT#CID=14+iQ=a1+iA<MSN in>+iO<MSN out>

# Do NOT use ATDT, as the "T" will become part of the dialled number.
# Seems to be a bug in the driver's AT command interpreter
ModemDialCmd:           ATD%s

# Caller ID
CIDNumber:              "DAD: "
CIDName:                "CID: "

######

Comments:

The ModemResetCmds string does several things:

#CID=14 sets the CID response to a hylafax friendly format (the '## is part of the AT command)
+iQ=a1 binds the modem to controller #1

Both base on a HOWTO by Dialogic. Might be the +iQ part could also be omitted, if you use a multi line pool.

+iA<MSN> is needed, if you want to use only one MSN for fax. If omitted, the card reacts on every incoming call!
+iO<MSN> sets the MSN for outgoing calls. If omitted, the MSN indicated depends on the configuration of your ISDN line.

The modem dial command is also important. I had to find out, that at least the last version of the driver differs from the documentation (Dialogic Diva for Linux reference). The documentation says any of ATD, ATDT or ATDP would do as a dial command, "P" or "T" would be ignored. In my case this was not so. The "T" or "P" went into the dialled number which was (of course) rejected as invalid by the network. Unfortunately the error message was "No Answer" instead of something more meaningful, so it took me quite a time until I found out.

As far as i can see, the setup of a Diva Server multi line BRI card (e.g. BRI-4M) or a PRI card should be quite the same. (It might be that you have to include some licence strings in the driver config process. But if you purchase a PRI card you should get that information anyway.)

Hope I could help someone.

Kind regards

Stefan