[hylafax-users] Where does LIBTIFF belong?

I've compiled hylafax before, on a different computer. Now I'm trying to compile it on a mac PowerPC running OSX 10.5. It doesn't come with libTIFF. I used macports (www.macports.org) to get a copy of libtiff, which lives in /opt/local/lib. I added that to my LD_LIBRARY_PATH but I'm still getting:

... checking TIFF library version

Missing TIFF Library.

Compilation of the following test program failed:

#include <stdio.h>
#include "tiffio.h"
main()
{
   printf( "header_ver=%d lib_ver=%s", TIFFLIB_VERSION, TIFFGetVersion() );
   exit(0);
}

TIFFINC=
LIBTIFF=-ltiff

Verify that you have the TIFFINC and LIBTIFF configuration parameters
set correctly for your system (see above) and that any environment
variables are setup that are needed to locate a libtiff DSO at runtime
(e.g. LD_LIBRARY_PATH). Also be sure that any relative pathnames are
made relative to the top of the build area.

Unrecoverable error!  Once you've corrected the problem rerun this script.

I tried setting TIFFINC option to /opt/local/include but that didn't get bast the hello-world test, so I'm not sure I know  what that variable is supposed to be.
I also did export TIFFINC=/opt/local/include    but that didn't seem to help at all.

thanks

Brian Postow
Senior Software Engineer
Acordex Imaging Systems