Re: [hylafax-users] Need a faxmodem

On Thu, 6 May 2010, N. Yaakov Ziskind wrote:

Lee Howard wrote (on Thu, May 06, 2010 at 10:50:32AM -0700):
N. Yaakov Ziskind wrote:
N. Yaakov Ziskind wrote (on Wed, May 05, 2010 at 12:10:42AM -0400):

I need a fax modem for a new (ubuntu) install of Hylafax. Criteria:
works with Linux, internal, and cheap on eBay.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

No suggestions? Ok, I'll narrow my question:

Looking at internal modems on eBay, how do I tell which of them are
winmodems (and therefore trouble) and which are not?

I guess you should forgive us for not wanting to get tangled up in this trap of recommending a cheap modem to you only to then later be held responsible for helping you getting it working with Linux and then helping you figure out why it doesn't work very well for fax.

True. But if I'm going to beg for help later, anyway :-) might as well steer me towards a less-problemsome product; better the devli you know, right?

Anyway, I promise to hold you harmless :-) for any suggestions you might
make; I just want to be pointed in the right direction ...

OK, I'll bite. I'm using an MT5634ZPX-PCI on a Fedora 11 AMD64 white box. Works well (and I'll share configuration details) You should find it for under $100.

--
David Forrest Maple Park Development Corporation http://xen.maplepark.com
St. Louis, Missouri (Sent by ALPINE 2.01 FEDORA 11 LINUX)