[hylafax-users] More on Fedora 12 and ghostscript

Earlier this month Eliran posted about ghostscript-8.71 on Fedora 12 breaking a working Hylafax setup:

http://www.hylafax.org/archive/2010-03/msg00001.php

I too have experienced the same problem with gs 8.71 on Fedora 12 i.e. the receiver of a fax sent from hylafax receives a page containing only the tagline.

A workaround is to add:

Use2D: no

to the etc/config file, as suggested by the Hylafax troubleshooting document for *earlier* versions of Ghostscript. YMMV.

A couple of debugging notes. Without the Use2D parameter, the conversion executed by hylafax is something like:

/bin/bash bin/pdf2fax -o docq/doc50.pdf;c1 -r 196 -w 1728 -l 297 -m 4096 -U -3 docq/doc50.pdf.47

which results in gs using the tiffg4 device (I added debug statements to the pdf2fax script, giving me the gs command line used).

With the Use2D setting, the command line is changed to pass a -1 rather than a -3 parameter, and gs is configured to use the tiffg3 device.

I manually ran the pdf2fax program with gs 8.71 using both the -1 (tiffg3) and -3 (tiffg4) settings. While the resulting tiffg4 file is smaller, I note that *both* the tiffg3 and tiffg4 files seem to load perfectly fine when viewed in several different programs including Okular, Gimp, Windows Picture and Fax viewer, and others. Here is the tiffinfo output:

foo_g3.tiff:
TIFF Directory at offset 0x870e (34574)
  Subfile Type: multi-page document (2 = 0x2)
  Image Width: 1728 Image Length: 2292
  Resolution: 209.1, 196 pixels/inch
  Bits/Sample: 1
  Compression Scheme: CCITT Group 3
  Photometric Interpretation: min-is-white
  FillOrder: msb-to-lsb
  Orientation: row 0 top, col 0 lhs
  Samples/Pixel: 1
  Rows/Strip: 37
  Planar Configuration: single image plane
  Page Number: 0-0
  Software: GPL Ghostscript 8.71
  DateTime: 2010:04:13 10:55:28
  Group 3 Options: EOL padding (4 = 0x4)

foo_g4.tiff:
TIFF Directory at offset 0x5a3e (23102)
  Subfile Type: multi-page document (2 = 0x2)
  Image Width: 1728 Image Length: 2292
  Resolution: 209.1, 196 pixels/inch
  Bits/Sample: 1
  Compression Scheme: CCITT Group 4
  Photometric Interpretation: min-is-white
  FillOrder: msb-to-lsb
  Orientation: row 0 top, col 0 lhs
  Samples/Pixel: 1
  Rows/Strip: 37
  Planar Configuration: single image plane
  Page Number: 0-0
  Software: GPL Ghostscript 8.71
  DateTime: 2010:04:13 10:55:21
  Group 4 Options: (0 = 0x0)

However, despite the tiffg4 file appearing to be correct, the destination still receives a blank fax.

I'm not sure what to check next in order to debug this further, as ghostscript 8.71 appears to be the culprit, and yet the output of pdf2fax using ghostscript 8.71 and the tiffg4 device is fine AFAICT. Is there a way to have hylafax send the manually created tiffg4 file directly for testing?

Cheers,
Raman