Re: [hylafax-users] hylafax crypted folder as user

On Monday 06 Jul 2009, Dario -Cdj- wrote:
> Hello world,
> there is some way to make hylafax running from a crypted folder and
> as a linux user (not root). I need that no root read my fax :-)
> Thanks
> Dario

*NOTHING* is secret from root -- that's just the way Unix works.

The best you can ever hope for is to *be* root yourself, and just not let
anyone else know your password.

If I really wanted to send a fax that I didn't want certain people seeing, I'd
use a beige box to hack into a disinterested third party's telephone line --
some old granny in a different part of town with which I had no connections,
maybe -- and try not to get caught doing the deed.

Plus I'd be bearing in mind that my plausible deniability would be seriously
compromised:  once the fax was sent, there would be no way to control who
gets to see it anymore.

--
AJS
(insert figure one before at sign if replying off-list)