Re: [hylafax-users] faxaddmodem does not detect modem but minicom works

Please run faxaddmodem with "sh -x" like this:

sh -x /path/to/faxaddmodem

Then send me the output.

Thanks,

Lee.

Mike Ducharme wrote:
Hi all,

I'm just trying out HylaFax as an alternative to our proprietary Tobit FaxWare linux-based fax server.

Minicom works and is able to talk to the modem but for whatever reason, faxaddmodem is not able to. When I try forcing the speed, I get this output:

**** PASTE BEGIN
Using user-specified 19200 to talk to modem.
/usr/sbin/faxaddmodem: line 840: kill: (9076) - No such process

There was no response from the modem.  Perhaps the modem is
turned off or the cable between the modem and host is not
connected.  Please check the modem and hit a carriage return
when you are ready to try again:
*** PASTE END

Pressing enter does nothing. It's an external serial modem, a MultiTech 56k. The same modem runs fine with the old fax software on the same system. I've checked to make sure that nothing else is locking the serial port, and so I'm really stumped as to why minicom works and the old fax software works but faxaddmodem doesn't.

The server is running SuSE Linux Enterprise Server 10 SP2 with the latest Hylafax binary for SLES downloaded from the Hylafax site today.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Mike