Re: [hylafax-users] WHFC 1.2.4 will not connect over WAN

Lucas Burdick wrote:
I think what you'll find is that WHFC uses the FTP style interface with Hylafax. What this means is that port 4559 is only half the story. As the control port, it needs another random port to transmit data. It's likely this random port that is giving you the problems. It will need to be opened up on your server side firewall to allow connections through, as the client will be initiating the connection.

AFAIK there is no way to control the port (or range of ports) that HF picks to transmit data. If there was, you would be able to open the proper port in your firewall. I would love clarification or correction on anything I've said here if I'm incorrect.

Current versions of HylaFAX should support passive mode, PASV (I know that HylaFAX+ does). I don't know if WHFC supports passive mode, but that's one way of dealing with firewalling issues. Another way is to teach your firewall that activity on port 4559 is like activity on port 21, and so ftp_conn_track or whatever can cope with it nicely then.

Thanks,