[hylafax-users] WHFC 1.2.4 will not connect over WAN

Hi:
I am having this issue with WHFC and after trying several things with
no success, I thought I'd ask for some insight.

I am running the current version of HF - 4.4.4 with a 'as installed'
configuration and one USB fax modem, configured to automatically print
all received faxes, it is connected through my router (configured to
forward requests to the hylafax server, port 4559).  When I run WHFC
on any one of three machines on my LAN, WHFC connects and all is well.

When I run WHFC on a machine outside my LAN, e.g. any machine on the
net, it does not connect.  WHFC shows that it attempts to connect to
the address of my server (in the window in the lower right hand
corner), then about 8 seconds later I get a window that says:
WSAETIMEDOUT: Connection timed out.

So, what am I possibly missing here?  How can I troubleshoot this?

What I have done so far:
I connected to the server box (on the WAN side) via ssh and logged
in....the 'telned local host 4559' and it connects.
While logged in, as a normal user, i run faxstat -v and it tells me
the hf scheduler is running.
While logged into the server, I telnet to the HF server on port 4559,
run 'user my_user_name' and it replies that I am logged in.  (this
tells me that my hf user account is OK)
Then I issue 'stat' and get the following:
stat
211-myhfserver.homeunix.com HylaFAX server status:
    HylaFAX (tm) Version 4.4.4-10-g9cd92a2
    Connected to myhfserver.homeunix.com (192.168.0.110)
    Logged in as user jjh (uid 60002)
    "/" is the current directory
    Current job: (default)
    Time values are handled in GMT
    Idle timeout set to 900 seconds
    Using long replies
    No server down time currently scheduled
    HylaFAX scheduler reached at /FIFO (not connected)
    Server FIFO is /client/27238 (open)
    File cache: 15 lookups, 0 hits (0.0%), 1.1 avg probes
        15 entries (1.6 KB), 0 entries displaced, 0 entries flushed
    TYPE: ASCII; STRU: File; MODE: Stream; FORM: PS
    No client data connection
211 End of status

So, this tells me that the server is getting my requests from the WAN
side.....so I am confounded as to what to check next...

Thanks
John