[hylafax-users] Distinctive Ring Configuration Help Needed

Greetings!

I have Hylafax server and client with AvantFax setup and working except that I cannot get distinctive ring working - Hylafax either answers everything or nothing.

Ubuntu 8.04 (Linux 2.6.24-21-generic)
Hylafax 4.4.3 from Ubuntu 8.04 respositories
Modem: AOpen FM56-EXV (Connexant) serial voice, fax, data modem. This is an external modem and works charmingly with Linux.

Distinctive ring reporting for this modem is DRON= and DROF=, only (see minicom session below). The max value for AT+VDR=1,6. I know that Hylafax is setting AT+VDR=1,6 because if I change this setting through minicom, restart Hylafax and then go back and check with minicom, the modem has been returned to AT+VDR=1,6 (the config.ttyS0 spec).

If I comment out DRingOn and DRingOff, Hylafax answers all calls; otherwise it answers no calls. DistinctiveRings, NoAnswerVoice or ModemAnswerCmd commented or not makes no difference.

Running faxstat during incoming dialing gives:
Modem ttyS0 (+1.613.473.nnnn): Listening to rings from modem

It seems to me that Hylafax should be tagging RingFax: DRON=5, as it might for Ring 1 or Ring A, and answering the fax call. Similarly, with NoAnswerVoice: true, Hylafax should tag RingVoice: DRON=18, as it might for Ring, and ignore the call.

I have over 25 hours in Googling and experimenting (had 13 Hylafax users threads open in my web browser at one point) but all to no avail. Please, can someone offer some guidance?

The relevant part (I think) of my config.ttyS0 is:
RingsBeforeAnswer:    1
DRingOn:    DRON=
DRingOff:    DROF=
ModemResetCmds:    AT+VDR=1,6
DistinctiveRings:    F-5-4-10-5-5,F-5-4-10-5-4,V-18
RingFax: DRON=5
RingVoice: DRON=18
NoAnswerVoice:    true
ModemAnswerCmd:        AT+FCLASS=1;A

#Following is complete minicom -s session w/comments added by me.
OK at+vdr? 1,6 OK #Following response received to dialing in on fax number. DRON=5 DROF=4 DRON=10 DROF=5 DRON=4 RING
DROF=31
DRON=5
DROF=4

DRON=10

DROF=5

DRON=5

RING #Following response is to dialing in on voice number. DRON=18

RING

DROF=41

DRON=18

RING