Re: [hylafax-users] Direct Inward Dialing setup

I like my Mainpine IQ Express cards for Analog connections. If you are
passing through the PBX you will most likely get analog connections to
the fax server, and the way it works is like this (simplified):
*PBX rings the line to fax card port xx
*Hylafax sees line ring, tells card to answer
*Fax card answers
*PBX immediately sends 4 DTMF digits
*PBX connects remote fax
*Remote Fax negotiates with card
*Card reports connection to Hylafax along with the shielded dtmf digits,
if so configured

DID comes from the phone company usually on T1(PRI) digital lines. You
would have x number of trunks - how many concurrent calls you want to be
able to handle - and a usually much larger set of phone numbers (though
you could just have a lot of concurrent calls to a single or small set
of numbers) - It connects to the PBX on the first available trunk, and
reports which number is being called. The PBX would then be configured
to transfer calls for that number being called to the particular inside
extension, in the analog case above usually referred to as an analog
extension.

If your PBX wants to pass it as Digital (PRI/T1), or if you want to get
trunks/DID numbers specifically for faxing and bypass the PBX, I have
heard good things about Diva cards.

-Siri Vias