Re: [hylafax-users] mknod /dev/capi operation not permitted

On Thu, Jul 17, 2008 at 10:27 AM, Bodo Meissner <bodo@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Michele Della Marina wrote, on 17.07.2008 01:20:
>
> | 1) Debian Stable 4.0R3  - kernel 2.6.18-6-686
> | 2) Hylafax (deb package) 4.3.1
> | 3) ISDN Fritz Card - module fcpci-suse93-3.11-07.tar.gz and patch
> | http://134.93.168.49/~reiffert/fcpci-debian.diff for kernel upper
> | 2.6.8
> |
> | All seems ok, capiinfo shows the ISDN controller correctly,
>
> Hello Michele.
>
> did you check the configuration in /etc/isdn/capi.conf?

Yes, I left uncommented only fcpci module, I think it was correct

> | faxstat works.
>
> If this shows your modem "faxCAPI" it means c2faxrecv is running and has
> found a valid configuration. IIRC capi4hylafax does not check CAPI
> access before actually doing anything with it.
>
> | But in syslog I see errors below;
>
> Maybe a file permissions issue.
>
> | and I have to reset symbolic link
> | any time I reboot: ln -s /dev/capi20 /dev/faxCAPI
>
> HylaFAX and capi4hylafax do not need /dev/faxCAPI because this is not a
> real modem tty device.
>
> | Sending a fax (sendfax command) an error occured: capi not installed,
> | but capy4hylafax package is installed.
>
> This might be a file permissions issue or missing CAPI configuration for
> your card.

I think this is not the problem because I've yet checked this:
/dev/capi20 root:dialout, crw,rw

Seems that this problem occurs with fcpci patch for kernels>2.6.8;
I've yet installed some ISDN faxservers without problems using debian.
I would like to use kernel 2.6.8-3 but this is too old and my new
pc/server does not find sata II controller, so I can't install linux.
I'm in a loop :)
I don't know where is the problem, because with kernel 2.6.8 (on other
hardware where the sata controller is found) there are no problems and
the configuration steps are the same.
Someone has experienced problems with kernel 2.6.18 and fcpi patch?

Thank you very much for your support.
Any suggestions are welcome.
Michele Della Marina

--