[hylafax-users] Issue receiving + XMPP notifier

Hi there,

I am a relatively new user of Hylafax+ and have found the software to be
excellent, so congrats to all the contributors and maintainers over time -
it's brilliant!

So far we've integrated as follows: XMPP-based instant-messaging
informing our users of fax status ('busy but will retry', 'success', 'failure',
plus 'new fax received') based on a custom script tailing
 /var/spool/hylafax/etc/xferfaxlog and using a MySQL database.
We've also got Automatic caller-ID based routing, PDF conversion, and
optional email notification.  Right now it's a near-perfect solution.

Unfortunately, after using the system stably for some time, we are having
problems receiving faxes from one particular number.  I did finally have luck
altering the corresponding 'info' file in order to bring down the capabilities
negotiated, but it's a bit of a pain to do manually.

The weird thing was, before changing the number's 'info' file, we could
send to that number fine, just not receive.

At that time, when sending, the remote would request the following
settings and the fax would be transferred perfectly - not a single error.
REMOTE best rate 14400 bit/s
REMOTE max A4 page width (215mm)
REMOTE max unlimited page length
REMOTE best vres 15.4 line/mm
REMOTE format support: MH, MR, MMR
REMOTE supports T.30 Annex A, 256-byte ECM
REMOTE best 10ms/scanline

On receiving, errors appeared like "MODEM TIMEOUT: waiting for
v.21 carrier", "RECV: reject TCF (too many non-zero, max 10%)",
"TRAINING failed" (repeats twice, finally succeds third time down
to 7200bit), then "MODEM command error", "FCS error",
"MODEM TIMEOUT", etc. with a final death... "RECV FAX: Failed
to properly detect high-speed data carrier, {E112}"

The info file that fixed the problem:
supportsVres:1
supports2DEncoding:no
supportsMMR:no
hasV34Trouble:yes
hasV17Trouble:yes
senderHasV17Trouble:yes
senderSkipsV29:yes
supportsPostscript:no
supprotsBatching:no
calledBefore:yes
maxPageWdith:1728
maxPageLength:65535
maxSignallingRate:"9600"
minScanlineTime:"20ms"

Has an auto-downgrade feature for failed receives
been discussed before?  Maybe some kind of
progressive 'scale-up' of speed and features could
be attempted over time until errors are encountered,
then the other side could be set back to the last
'known good' options.

Of course a script could achieve similar, but would
still require some form of database to keep this
information (assuming the 'progressive' technique),
and as the feature would prove useful perhaps it
should be included in the core rather than hacked
on top as an extra script.

Then again, I'm no expert on faxing - maybe there's
good reasons why such an approach is less
feasible or useful than it would appear.

Anyway, thanks and congratulations again on some
excellent software!  If anyone's interested in the
XMPP messaging notifier, email me and I'll send
you our script (PHP-based) - though I can't afford
the time to provide support.

Regards,
Walter @ Kunming city, Yunnan province, China