Re: [hylafax-users] Samba FAXing

Hi Karmit

1. For e), shall I do it in Samba ? OR actually add a printer ? I have checked that the path in the Samba share "/var/spool/samba" is accessable to ALL. Sorry, I am still a newbie to Linux.
No, do it within CUPS (eg. https://faxserver:631/printers). When you will be
asked for the DeviceURI enter the name of the script "sambafax" (without any
path). Please note that you first should copy the script into
"/usr/lib/cups/backend" directory.

2. I am testing with Windows XP, I suppose I can add any PS printer.

3. I have also tried to add a 9-pin printer in "Printer configuration", then it appears in the Samba printer share. I set it to guest okay. It appeared to the Windows XP PC, but same message : access denied, cannot connect. Why ? I guess I have to modify something in Samba.
To both questions: If you use IPP (Internet printer protocol) you
don't need to configure samba because CUPS is working primarly with
IPP. The advantage of IPP is that you can configure you printer as
you need from Windows, MAC, Linux.

The other thing is that (while installing under Windows) you can
simply add a new printer using any PS driver but as a network
printer with the device URI like point g).

Kind regards

Rolf (aka spieler67)

Thank you !!!