Re: [hylafax-users] Urgent help please - computer freezes immediately after send

Michael wrote:
No - it is a Multitech external serial modem.

Nothing wrong with the modem - works fine on the old system.

It is probably the serial card (Moxa PCI-E 4 port) or kernel (I added real time patch) or the serial driver (I used the kernel included driver, not the one from the Moxa site).

Michael,

I'd suggest that you contact Moxa support and ask them how to run 'serial loop back tests' with full 'hardware flow control'. This will require a 'hardware loop back connector' to plug into the end of each of your Moxa serial ports. You should then send/receive large data files over all the serial ports at the same time to ensure that they are 100% error free. Only when you can send/receive on all ports at 115k2 baud, with full hardware flow control, for 24 hours, while undertaking heavy disk activity (this is important), can you assume that the serial card is working and then proceed with modem loop back tests and HylaFAX.

I suspect that you should use the Moxa serial driver... the standard serial driver probably lacks any workarounds that are required by the UART's that they use. I also doubt that Moxa will have certified the real time patch with their driver and hardware.... this is a niche area as far as I'm aware.

One final comment.... I know that you are opposed to spending money on a Mainpine IQ Express fax board.... but, we've already done all of this work and been shipping PCI Express solutions in volume for over two years... why reinvent the wheel and spend all this time (and therefore money) on a ten year old Venus based solution ?

Regards,

Andrew Rinaldi
Mainpine Developer Support
USA +1 866 363 6680 | UK +44 1225 807 807
andrew.rinaldi@xxxxxxxxxxxx | www.mainpine.com