From: hylafax-users-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:hylafax-users-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Lee Howard
Sent: Friday, February 15, 2008 2:43 PM
To: mvaillancourt@xxxxxxxxx
Cc: hylafax-users@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [hylafax-users] Hylafax/IAXmodem

Michel R Vaillancourt wrote:
> Lee Howard wrote:
>> You're not running iaxmodem on the same system as Asterisk?
>>
>>> [Feb 15 14:01:18] VERBOSE[27913] logger.c:     -- Zap/2-1 is
proceeding
>>> passing it to IAX2/198-4
>    FYI, Lee, I've tested this with 60-page faxes over 100Mbit LAN...
> it works fine.  I've seen no difference than running it on the same
> machine as the PBX.

While I do not doubt that in some circumstances running iaxmodem's IAX2
channels over a LAN (or even a WAN) may "work fine", it is an extremely
difficult scenario to reproduce consistently over varied network
infrastructures and designs.  So it's ill-advised for me to solicit to
others that "this works fine" when in reality it very well may not work
at all for them (and there'd be nothing that they could do about it
without redesigning and rebuilding their network).

Furthermore, you could enable iaxmodem's jitterbuffer (which tends to
only make things worse than if it were off) and then if things get worse

you can know that there is jitter on the line but that iaxmodem's design

(and quite probably HylaFAX's as well) is compensating adequately.  If
things don't get worse when enabling the jitterbuffer then you'd have to

do a more deep analysis to see if any jitter is occurring at all
(perhaps even by doing network sniffing, etc... which I've done in the
past and which has led me to the conclusions that I'm giving here).

Thanks,