Re: [hylafax-users] Problem converting PDF

Aidan Van Dyk wrote:
* Lee Howard <faxguy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> [080214 14:42]:
Create a file /var/spool/hylafax/etc/FaxModify. In it put this one line:

FIXEDWIDTH=-dPDFFitPage

Then try again and see if it helps you.

If this is a valid Ghostscript option, and works (I haven't tried it), doesn't this looks like something we should be setting by default?

Possibly. I realized that this option is not PDF-specific, as I just today gave it a try with Postscript input on the tiffg3/tiffg4 device.

However, I haven't yet investigated how long this option has been available to Ghostscript, or if it's a relatively new feature that won't be available on older systems.

Furthermore (and more importantly), this option has gotten no exposure at all with HylaFAX users yet, and so it's hard to say if -dPDFFitPage meets users' expectations better or worse than -dFIXEDMEDIA does (or as I've been accustomed to doing: code-modifying -dAdjustWidth to work "better" for variable-length documents). I'm completely comfortable making a default change when we have these two uncertainties resolved.

Neither -dFIXEDMEDIA nor -dPDFFitPage offer an ideal solution to the case where a single multi-page document contains pages of a varied length (i.e. mixed letter and legal pages). That's what my -dAdjustWidth patch (that's on the Ghostscript Bugzilla) was intended to support. But like -dFIXEDMEDIA it can also cut-off the right side of image data.

And none of this does any good for cases where the page really should be rotated before being "fitted" or "trimmed". That's what the Ghostscript option of -dAutoRotatePages=/PageByPage is *supposed* to handle, I believe. And when I last tested that option I didn't see it doing anything... but I may have been doing something wrong or I may have been using a buggy version of Ghostscript at the time, too. I'll have to revisit -dAutoRotatePages=/PageByPage sometime...

Thanks,