From: Lee Howard [mailto:faxguy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Tuesday, January 29, 2008 8:17 PM
To: Joshua Kinard
Cc: hylafax-users@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [hylafax-users] Hardware suggestions to get Hylafax
running?

Joshua Kinard wrote:
> Regarding versions, For this kind of a setup, should I go with the 1.4.x series of Asterisk, or the 1.2.x RPMs I've dug up on Novell's FTP server?

Asterisk 1.2 has much more exposure with iaxmodem than Asterisk 1.4, and
so I'd recommend 1.2 over 1.4 for your limited Asterisk usage.  That
said, I've had problems building Zaptel 1.2 on AMD64 with modern
kernels, and in those cases I've either downgraded the distro version to
where the kernel was not so new (i.e. Fedora Core 5 is a good choice) or
I had to move to Asterisk 1.4... but I've not seen enough exposure on
1.4 to know if it's at least as good as 1.2 for iaxmodem use.