[hylafax-users] Troubles with external USRobotics

Dear all,

I've got Hylafax v4.3.4 installed on a CentOS 4.3, configured with one 3Com USRobotics 56K external modem (connected via the serial port) as sending/receiving fax server.
Normally it operates fine but sometimes after reporting a failure in fax receiving, the modem hangs (hylafax starts sending the "modem on /dev/ttyS0 appears wedged") without any chance to recover it. If I try to communicate to the modem (using minicom or wvdialconf) it reports there is no modem.
I reseted the modem (taking the power off and on) but it continues hanging. I even reseted the whole server and still the same. The only way I found to make the modem work again (a dirty one) is to poweroff the server, boot it without the modem attached to the serial port (kudzu removes it the config), poweroff the server again, connect the modem to the serial port, boot the server once more (kudzu detects and configures it) and everything works again.
The problem is that I cannot reproduce the problem, it only happens from time to time (not very often) but its very annoying as I need to reboot the server. I changed the modem to a new one and today it happened again. I suspect the problem comes from the modem, but I'm not sure that it could come to a misconfiguration. Let me know if you want me to send any config file or log.

Does someone had the same trouble with a USRobotics modem? I would like to try changing the modem to see if the problem disappear, any suggestion about a modem which is proven to work perfectly with hylafax?

Any clue you could provide to solve this touble would be more than welcome!

Thanks a lot in advance

--
Héctor Sánchez Sanmartín
PlanaTec Software S.L. ** Castellón (Spain)