Re: [hylafax-users] Hardware suggestions to get Hylafax running?

-----Original Message-----
From: Lee Howard

> Asterisk 1.2 has much more exposure with iaxmodem than Asterisk 1.4, and
> so I'd recommend 1.2 over 1.4 for your limited Asterisk usage.  That
> said, I've had problems building Zaptel 1.2 on AMD64 with modern
> kernels, and in those cases I've either downgraded the distro version to
> where the kernel was not so new (i.e. Fedora Core 5 is a good choice) or
> I had to move to Asterisk 1.4... but I've not seen enough exposure on
> 1.4 to know if it's at least as good as 1.2 for iaxmodem use.

Hmm, what function does Zaptel provide for Asterisk?  Library of some kind, or a driver for hardware?  Sounds like it's touching on the kernel a little bit, so it could be header mismatches.  I guess Novell may have worked around whatever the issues are, since poking around their site, they had 1.2.x RPMs for SuSE 10.1 available.  I suppose I should have mentioned that I'm running 32bit on that platform anyways, even though it's an Opteron.  We have a database program running on it that isn't 64bit safe just yet, hence the need to install it as 32bit.

I've gone ahead and placed orders for the two T1 Cards that I need, and plan on grabbing the DID stuff from my carrier next.  As far as clients go, is there a good, free one, you know of that works well with Windows, and allows for script integration with MS Office?  I'm thinking of a type of "fax merge" capability that several of our users use that I'll need to replicate.

Thanks!,

--Josh