Re: [hylafax-users] Hardware suggestions to get Hylafax running?

Joshua Kinard wrote:
How about this Wedging issue I saw mentioned w/ Multitechs? Non-issue when dealing with emulated modems? Any other known cases involving runaway children (i.e., from IAXmodem) possibly grinding the server down? Or is this kind of setup, while a touch complex, more bulletproof than dealing with multiport modem hardware?

Hi Joshua,

'software' modems are not inherently more or less reliable than 'hardware' modems. What really matters is that the supplier is willing and able to fix issues when they come up.... you will get this level of support with both IAXmodem and Mainpine IQ Express fax boards.

With regards to 'wedging' we have seen it both with 'hardware' and 'software' modems. The OS, drivers, and platform hardware are all a factor in this. We deal with this at multiple levels in our hardware including the ability to reset fax ports from the application (using the HylaFAX 'wedge' process).

Regards

Andrew Rinaldi
Mainpine Developer Support
USA +1 503 822 9944 | UK +44 8458 909438
andrew.rinaldi@xxxxxxxxxxxx | www.mainpine.com