Re: [hylafax-users] Hardware suggestions to get Hylafax running?

Michael Hallager wrote:
Can posts criticizing hardware please be more specific?

I think I'm being specific enough.... "avoid all 'software' modems and only consider the Venus Agere chipset unless it's an important installation where investing in a IQ Express fax board will buy you support and problem resolution".

The USR reported 'problems' always relate to cheap Sportster model modems.

Many users report problems with USR modems, this is across the board, not just the sportster model. Our recommendation to avoid USR modems for fax is based on our own experience, the feedback from our fax server software colleagues, and newsgroups such as this one and microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs

I use a couple of Courier's here (One branded USR and the other 3com) and they are excellent reliable devices for fax.

No one is saying that USR Courier's will never work for fax.... but we are saying that many people experience problems that can be avoided by buying a Agere Venus based product. Just look through the HylaFAX archives... how many times has a USR modem been diagnosed as the source of a problem ? Also ask yourself, do you really want Lee (and others) spending their time diagnosing USR modem problems or developing new HylaFAX features ?

Regards

Andrew Rinaldi
Mainpine Developer Support
USA +1 503 822 9944 | UK +44 8458 909438
andrew.rinaldi@xxxxxxxxxxxx | www.mainpine.com