[hylafax-users] Newbie here! Pls help! No carrier detected. PLS HELP

THIS IS A REPOST BECAUSE I DID NOT FINISH MY SUBSCRIPTION WHEN I SEND
OUT THE FIRST TIME. VERY SORRY
Hi.
I hope u will forgive my poor attempted to put my woes in word cos i am
not good in this. But i will try to do my best.

First of all. I had been googling and did came across some good sites
which helped me to installed my modem and also some good tip at
installing hylafax. There was one site where it proposed some command to
verified that things are fine.

rick@rick-laptop:~$ faxstat
HylaFAX scheduler on rick-laptop: Running
Modem ttySL0 (+60.03.90743162): Running and idle
rick@rick-laptop:~$
rick@rick-laptop:~$

rick@rick-laptop:~$ sudo /etc/init.d/sl-modem-daemon status
[sudo] password for rick:
Status of SmartLink modem daemon: slmodemd is running.
rick@rick-laptop:~$

I then did a test by faxing thru gFax by a selecting a postscript file.
when i clicked on the Send button. gFax reply that "Your facsimile were
sucessufully transmitted." and a jobid were created whereby the initial
"Status" is showing "Busy" and the other funny thing were that the "Send
At" column is alway 8hrs behind my local time.

I noticed that there is no activity in the "Fax Status" section at all.

And after waiting for about 5 minutes i then clicked on the "Completed
Jobs" tab and when i reclicked back the "Facsimiles to Send" tab i
noticed that it now show "No carrier detected" in the "Error" Tab

PLS HELP.....PS. I am using Gfax 0.7.6 and can you tell me how to find
out which version of hylafax i am using?. BTW, i am using ubuntu and
running kubuntu desktop

I don't know what command to issued to find out the ubuntu version. Pls
tell me how.

MANY THANKS IN ADVANCE.