[hylafax-users] USRobotics 5610 Modem w/ Hylafax & AvantFax - how can I test to see if it's working?

Hi all,

I picked up a USRobotics 5610 Serial modem and did a fresh install of
CentOS 5.1 so that I may install Hylafax and AvantFax.  I have confirmed
that my modem is on /dev/ttyS0, and running the initial Hylafax setup, I
was able to have Hylafax detect the best speed for my modem.  I even re-ran
'faxmodem /dev/ttyS0' to make sure it still detected it.

The problem I am having is not with Hylafax directly (at least I don't
think so), but with AvantFax.  Both Hylafax and Avantfax installed without
any errors, but when I log into the Web GUI for Avantfax, at the top where
it shows the modem, it says this:

ttyS0 [Please wait]

I know it's supposed to say OK or something in between the brackets, or
IDLE or something, because when I had the Winmodem installed on this
machine, even though the Winmodem wasn't fully working, it didn't say
'Please Wait' - in fact it said OK or IDLE (I forget which) in green
letters.

What can I do to make sure that my modem is correctly set up and Hylafax is
using it?

Again, I'm running this on CentOS 5.1 with a US Robotics 5610 hardware
serial modem.

If I need to supply other information, please let me know.

Thanks in advance.

Patrick