Re: [hylafax-users] Working config for Digi Acceleport RAS?

Felipe Sanchez wrote:
After working with Digi support staff I decided to try the card using a Windows box and faxing software.

It turns out, it sends and receives faxes ok in Class 2 / Class 2.0 mode.

So I'm back to thinking it is just a matter of finding the right configuration commands. I used the same firmware both in Windows and in Linux.

How do you know that you used the same firmware in both Windows and Linux? The part of the firmware that I've found to be the culprit is loaded from a file into the card when the driver loads. So unless you compared the firmware file from the Windows driver to the firmware driver in the Linux file or simply copied one to the other, how do you know that you used the same firmware?

OUT: AT+FIS=?
IN : AT+FIS=?
IN : (0-1),(0-5),(0-4),(0-2),(0-3),(0-1),(0),(0-7
IN : OK
OUT: AT+FCC=1,1
IN : OK

The Windows software is being brave.. and absurd here. It limits resolutions to fine and normal... which was unnecessary because the modem only supports those (later it sets resolution to normal when it sends out a normal-resolution image), and then it sets the supported bitrate to 2400-4800 bps. (!?!) And then it leaves width, length, data format, and ECM support up to the modem's firmware to use any capability. Limiting the modem to V.27ter (2400-4800 bps)... this is the pattern which you want your HylaFAX configuration to follow?

Based on future indications it seems that the lack of supplying the 3rd through 7th parameters to the modem there disabled most of them - or maybe the Windows application had disabled them previously. So ECM is disabled, and data format is limited to MH.

IN : +FCO
IN : +FCI:" NothingSetup"
IN : +FIS:1,5,2,2,3,1,0,0
IN : OK
OUT: AT+FDT
IN : +FCS:0,1,0,2,0,0,0,0
IN : CONNECT

So then when the call is placed, and the receiver indicates that it supports bitrates through 14400 bps and MMR data format and ECM support... of course the modem then negotiates 4800 bps and MH image format with no ECM.

Believe me, this is *not* the pattern you want HylaFAX to follow.

However... in my past experience with the Acceleport RAS modems I found both ECM and MMR to be flawed... so disabling them probably helps in some fashion to work around firmware flaws. As for the limiting to 4800 bps... that's really not what you want.

Thanks,