Re: [hylafax-users] xferfaxlog to jobID/faxID/callcid to image filename?

On Dec 24, 2007 8:38 PM, Lee Howard <faxguy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> George H wrote:
> > I just want to add to this and say that I would find it useful as
> > well.
>
> See my previous mail to Lukasz.
>
> > Not just having the tif image name but also the size in bytes
> > next to it.
> >

> Why?  I can understand the desire to not have to grep through the
> session log to find the recvq file name (which may not even be there due
> to logging restrictions or which may be ambiguous due to a batch
> reception), but once you have the file name, it's something close to a
> one-command matter to obtain the file size.

Well for us it was important to know the average size of a received
fax. Sometimes we get really long ones that are 60 pages or even 80
(happens rarely) and as usual we get single pages as well. Our
operators use an integrated workflow system and they attach the
received tiff files to the work flow which are all stored in a
database. So we have to give a blob size that could fit any fax we
receive. The file size thing just applies to received faxes for us,
but I can probably use it for logging sent faxes.. so that we can
archive all documents sent to our clients and who knows maybe it might
be used in another workflow for followups or something.

Of course we don't want to allocate a randomly large size, so after a
while of getting faxes we can calculate the average size and we know
the mins and the maxes. So that's basically why it was useful to us to
have the file size along with the file name.

Thanks for providing the patch! I'll apply it asap and see how things go.

> > Current I have a java program that queries a database (holding the
> > xferfaxlog info) and then finds the c000xxxxx log file and greps it
> > for *.tif" then checks the size of the file (if it exists). Would be
> > nice to have this info in xferfaxlog from the start.
>
> Before you insert the xferfaxlog info into the database use the recvq
> file name to check the file size and insert that into your database as
> well.  (I assume that you're using something like FaxAccounting for the
> xferfaxlog --> database insertion.  (See:
> http://hylafax.sourceforge.net/howto/tweaking.php#ss6.14 )

Right now the database has all the info xferfaxlog file has. I do the
filename/size reports manually through an external program. Also
thanks again for the patch.

> Thanks,
>
> Lee.

Your efforts are appreciated