Re: [hylafax-users] Capi4Hylafax and AVM Fritz!Card PCI

Jaap Winius wrote:
Several years ago, I was happy to discover an easy way to circumvent all those pesky fax-modem compatibility problems: just use capi4Hylafax with an AVM Fritz!Card PCI to work as a software fax. The necessary software support for it is unfortunately closed source, but it allowed me to compile a module for the 2.6.8 Linux kernel on my Debian sarge without any problems.

However, now that I've upgraded the server to Debian etch and kernel 2.6.18, it seems like that closed source issue has come back to roost: the AVM software refuses to compile! See the results in the install.log below.

Seeing as there haven't been any updates for that AVM software since 2005, are
these cards now considered useless for current Hylafax systems on Linux? If
not, I'd be grateful if someone could point me in the direction of a solution. If so, what are currently the favored alternatives?

See another very-recent thread on a very closely-related topic: http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.telephony.fax.hylafax.user/26157

So it'll be an involved setup to migrate to Asterisk+IAXmodem using chan_misdn... but I do believe you'll be better-off than you ever were with CAPI4HylaFAX.