Re: [hylafax-users] Feedback wanted on Multitech Multi Modem 5634 ZBA

Michael Hallager wrote:
> http://www.multitech.com/PRODUCTS/Families/MultiModemZBA/
>
> This is their serial external modem that does fax speed to 33k6.
>
> People's feedback, comments, experience please?

I have a large number of MultiModem 5634ZPX-PCI-U-NV internal units (in
geographically distributed servers; when needing to drive more
simultaneous lines, we use iaxmodem with Sangoma hardware). We were
having severe issues with wedging until we disabled reset and hangup
methods other than the DTR-based reset; this is done with the directives
ModemSoftResetCmd: AT
ModemOnHookCmd: AT
which Lee has mentioned elsewhere on-list.

We have a small number of ZBA external modems, purchased for sites where
the wedging issue was particularly severe. The wedging issue is much
less pronounced on these than on the internal units, but I still would
be very much inclined to make the same configuration adjustment on these
-- we've deployed it universally.

MultiTech's customer support is not unresponsive, but is inconsistent in
the level of assistance provided. Our initial contact with them (in
March) regarding the wedging issues provided no relief from the issue
whatsoever, and it was an offhand comment their tech made in more recent
 communication which resulted in us being able to find a successful
workaround.

If it were not for the price difference, we'd have switched to Mainpine
already; as it is, we're likely to stay with Multitech for the immediate
future, having widely deployed their product and found a workaround for
the only major issue which came up in its use.