Re: [hylafax-users] Color Faxes

Bill Tillman wrote:

Thought, I'd never see the day when I'd need color faxing so I never paid much attention to the posts on the subject. But suddenly I need to be able to receive faxes on my Hylafax-4.3 server in color. Can anyone tell me how to set this up or where to find the docs on this?

I go through color fax reception in some degree of detail here:

http://hylafax.sourceforge.net/howto/install.php#ss2.5

I would expect that you should be able to get color fax reception to work on HylaFAX 4.3.x, but I do not have any experience with 4.3.x to say. It works for me with current HylaFAX+ (5.1.x) releases.

Please note that the process indicated in the HOWTO requires a rebuild of libjpeg and libtiff. Furthermore, it is quite possible that you will need to rebuild everything that was built against them (i.e. ImageMagick)... so it's not generally a trivial endeavor. Furthermore, I have only had consistent success when using libtiff-3.7.2. I have not had good success using libtiff-3.7.4 or any 3.8.x version.

(JPEG support in libtiff was reworked in their 4.0 branch, and so I eventually plan to revisit the libtiff modifications for 4.0 and hopefully do all of the colorspace conversions there and completely avoid meddling with libjpeg since libjpeg doesn't actually need to be modified for what we're doing if libtiff will do it instead.)

Furthermore, you'll want to be aware that color faxes take much longer to receive/transmit than monochrome. So you may enable it and start getting faxes in "color" mode that were monochrome on the original document (but the sender transmitted it using color... for some reason) and so in those few instances you may get surprised by the amount of time that the fax took to receive.

Thanks,