[hylafax-users] Waiting for modem to come free

I've had an intermittent problem that is now puzzling me with my ISI 8
port UPCI card.

occasionally, after completing a send or receive, a modem will sit at
"Waiting for modem to come free" until I reset it, which I wrote a
script for:
/sbin/resetport /dev/ttyMU1$1
/bin/kill -9 `ps ax | grep "faxgetty ttyMU1$1" | awk '{print $1}'`

for the short term I have a cron job that checks faxstat and resets
anything that looks hung up.

at first I though it was something to do with the generally crappy
analog lines we have here, but earlier this week we finally ported the
number to the PRI and now they are all working off a phone system, so
there should be no noise or surges on the line, but I'm still getting
the lock ups.

the only thing I notice odd in the logs is "NOTIFY exit status:
0177400", but I'm not finding much info on this.

is there anything I can do, besides replacing the modem card, to
prevent this lockup?