Re: [hylafax-users] Hylafax on a 133 MHZ laptop?

John Hudak wrote:

Hi Folks:
I am looking for some feedback from ppl that may have put HylaFax on a older laptop or computer....
I've set up hylafax on a desktop pc a few yrs ago for a friend, and it worked pretty well. Recently my fax machine went bellyup at home and I got to thinking about using my old 133 MHZ pentium which runs Linux RH v9 with Hylafax, and using either the internal modem that came with the NEC laptop (I think it is a 'winbond' modem chip) or one of two PCMCIA ethernet+modem cards I have (one 3com, don't remember the other). So I have some general questions:
1. Is this version of RH a reasonable/stable environment for Hylafax, or, is there a better distribution to consider? I am also considering DSL but don't know how well it integrates with HylaFax.

Many of us ran HylaFAX on RedHat 9 just fine. (Some of us still do.)

2. What modem 'chip set' might I have the best chance of getting working with this arrangement?

The arrangement has no real limitation on what modems should be used. If you have an ISA slot then you may even be able to get away with some old ISA fax modem. However, your question teeters on the age-old question of "which modem should I buy, which modem works best with HylaFAX?" This topic comes up maybe once per week or at least once per month. You'll find a gamut of responses in the archives. My suggestion would be to try what you have around, see if it works to your liking, and if not, then come back to us and we can talk.

3. Would the 133 MHz machine have enough compute cycles to act as a stand alone send/receive fax machine? I would be running a minimum of processes on it, and it would only be a fax machine.

Some of us ran HylaFAX on 133MHz pentiums just fine. Some of us ran HylaFAX on slower machines, even. You should be fine.

Thanks,