Re: [hylafax-users] Getting the sender number

Hi Glenn,

First things first.... plug a phone into the line and make sure that you see
the caller?s number displayed when you call that line from your cell phone.
What you are trying to do is test that your telephone company has turned on
the Caller ID service.... in most countries you pay for this service.

Once you have demonstrated that you are receiving Caller ID information then
look in the user manual for your modem for commands related to Caller ID
(sometimes abbreviated to CID).  NOTE, that many modems claim to support
Caller ID but this is actually quite rare outside of the US.  Anyway, if you
are convinced that your modem will work then plug the line into the modem
and start Minicom.  Type the commands that enable Caller ID (which on a
RockForce card are);

AT+VCID=1 (?formatted? caller report) or AT+VCID=2 (?unformatted? caller
report)

Now try calling the modem from your cell phone once again and if you are
very lucky you will see the Caller ID data displayed.  At this point you
should consult the HylaFAX site regarding CallIDPattern.

If you were unlucky then try contacting the manufacturers of your modem for
help.  You may also wish to take a look at the following Caller ID info
sites;

http://www.ainslie.org.uk/callerid.htm

http://www.caller-id-answers.info/

Regards

ANDREW RINALDI
Mainpine Limited - Support
USA +1 503 822 9944 | Asia/Europe +44 1225 869439
andrew.rinaldi@xxxxxxxxxxxx | www.mainpine.com