Re: [hylafax-users] Hylafax clients and server - tcp ports

* R908TLV@xxxxxx <R908TLV@xxxxxx> [070425 14:02]:
> Hello list,

> today I encountered an interesting "problem" while working with some
> hylafax clients (jHylafax and HylaFAXsender) on the Mac (OS X 10.4.9,
> Intel) which I never had on Windows: When working with the built-in
> firewall, the clients had problems to connect to the server (timeout)
> although the mentioned port 4559 was entered for pass through. The
> ipfw log told me that the clients wanted to use some ports in the
> non-registered area (43000-45000) and when I opened this port range
> the clients were running.

> Is there another specific port (either tcp or udp) which has to be
> openend or is this client specific? Or is there a special port range
> to cover?

HylaFAX uses a FTP style protocol.  That means it has the control
connection and DATA connection.

If you're using ACTIVE transfers, then hfaxd connects back to the
specified port on the *client* machine for the DATA connection.  If
you're using PASSIVE,  hfaxd listens on a port (the OS gives it that
port) that the client to connects to for the DATA connection.  The ports
used for these PASSIVE connections is determined by the OS running
hfaxd.  The ports to use are passed as commands in the control
connection.  All standard FTP stuff.

So, if you're firewall understands state, and FTP, just make it do "FTP"
on port 4559 as well as 21, and you're all set.  Then it will allow the
"related" connections needed for the DATA connections.

a.

--
Aidan Van Dyk                                             aidan@xxxxxxxx
Senior Software Developer                          +1 215 825-8700 x8103