Re: [hylafax-users] Sending a fax, but the receiving end is manual

On 4/18/07, Michael Stowe <mstowe@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

As you can imagine, detecting it would be difficult at best, for a couple of reasons. First, it's indistinguishable from somebody just picking up the phone -- and second, how would an automated system know what button to press?

On the plus side, if you're already aware of this, it's pretty easy to
solve.  Assuming your dialing rules allow it, just add a few commas
(interpreted as pauses) then the number you have to hit to send a fax, at
the end of the number you're dialing:  e.g., 18005551212,,3

That actually does sound interesting. Most of the answering services I encounter don't require me to pause, maybe a little when it picks up the call. Currently I am using email-to-fax gateway where faxes are sent in the form of 55512345@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx I don't know how it nice postfix would be if I added commas to the number. Maybe if somewhere in hyalafax I can tell it that whenever it sees a '-' to treat it as a pause and then dial the numbers after it.

Or some sort of function to dial numbers after the call has been
picked up by the other side.

You may have to diddle with the number of pauses/commas depending on how
long the message is, when it picks up the phone, and whether or not it
interprets DTMF codes while it's still talking.