Re: [hylafax-users] faxmail - tiff attachments problem

nik600 wrote:

i am trying to setup my hylafax server as an email2fax gateway.

root@servercvs:/var/spool/hylafax# cat  /usr/local/lib/fax/hyla.conf
MIMEConverters: /var/spool/hylafax/mimetype

root@servercvs:/var/spool/hylafax# tree  mimetype/
mimetype/
|-- application
|   |-- ordine.ps
|   |-- pdf
|   `-- ps
`-- image
   `-- tiff

The fax is correctly generated and send, but the second page is empty.
If i take a look in the docq the ps generated contains on the second
page an images of 1x1 inches instead of the standard 11x8.5

There's been some recent debate on this matter that you should be able to find in the mailing list archives.

Normally users think of mail-to-fax gatwaying as merely a way to use an e-mail agent as fax client. They think that they get their faxes in their e-mail and they get notifications by email and so they should just be able to send faxes by email. This is usually what is expected, and so most people think... okay I'll just send off an e-mail and attach the desired fax documents and it's over.

faxmail wasn't really designed with that intention. faxmail was *really* more of a mail-to-postscript converter. It was designed to reproduce an e-mail (with inline content, etc) in Postscript format. And so the attachments were generally interpreted as in-line, embedded things - meaning that the MIMEConverters were expected to produce some kind of Postscript snippit out of the attachment and then faxmail would use that snitppit and embed it into the rest of the Postscript that it was creating.

However, unless you're some kind of Postscript whiz producing Postscript snippts with the MIMEConverters is not really feasible. Furthermore, it may truthfully be impossible to properly prepare the Postscript snippit in that the converter really doesn't know the internal Postscript state of the envelope.

So then come the workarounds, and if you search the archives for MIMEConverters and "showpage" you'll find a number of workarounds. Some of them are more reliable than others, but the basic gist that they follow is that they insert a "showpage" (a Postscript end-of-page command) before the converted output is sent. This gets you the proper page break that most people are expecting. Some of the more zealous workarounds will also filter that converter output to remove the Postscript trailer to prevent the one that faxmail will create from becoming a duplicate. This doesn't always work to the user's advantage. If more postscript output will be following from faxmail (like other attachments) then stripping the converter's trailer may not really be appropriate... and at least in practice it is okay to leave it there.

In HylaFAX+ I've already got the PDF and TIFF converters there, and I've "fixed" faxmail "properly" to not have to mess with the "showpage" and trailer stuff. You don't need a Postscript converter because faxmail can handle Postscript natively. So my suggestion would be to try HylaFAX+ 5.0.4. But the next idea would to simply:

echo "showpage"

in your MIMEConverter before you run your poscript conversion command to stdout.