From: hylafax-users-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:hylafax-users-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of SCIN - Danilo Bottino
Sent: 01 December 2006 02:13
To: Lee Howard
Cc: hylafax-users@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [hylafax-users] Faxes cut in half

Thanks for the long explanation!

I did a search through the logs and found that

1) it happens with only one receiver who owns this BrotherMFC-8600 model
(also mentioned in the session log I sent some days ago), and this is good.

http://www.superwarehouse.com/images/products/printers/multifunction/brother
/brother_mfc_8600.gif

2) there are no other receivers with that model, so we can't compare the
session logs, and this is bad.

Anyway, we reached ~50 outgoing faxes a day and this is the only one
receiver who sometimes reports a badly received fax. So, you're probably
right in thinking there's a problem on his end.. ok, I'll try that
JobControl thing to see what I get! I'll keep you updated.

Danilo

> [...]
> each page of image data as it is needed in the protocol, and the
> tagline is put onto it (again, in RAM).  When dealing with an MMR
> source document this requires us to regenerate the entire page of
> data.  When dealing with MH or MR source documents we can snip and
> cut-n-paste the scanlines into place without modifying the rest of the
> page.  And then, if ModemSoftRTFCC is enabled (and it is by default)
> faxsend with convert the image compression between MH, MR, and MMR
> (and JBIG where available) on-the-fly and then transmit that data to the
receiver.

> In the transmission process it can be done with or without ECM.  With
> ECM there is a virtual guarantee that the data will be correct before
> the receiver attempts to decode it.  Without ECM there is no guarantee at
all.

> The receiver then does whatever it does, but in the process it will
> decode the image data to print it onto paper.
>
> So hopefully you can see all of the points where the image can get
> fouled up from the point where you have the original document on file
> and submit it to the server and the point where the receiver prints it
out.

> In your case you have shown me logs that indicate that the session
> used MMR source documents and transmitted MMR (thus no RTFCC employed)
> and that ECM is being used.  Now you're confirming that the source
> documents are fine - at least to your TIFF viewer.  The receiver's fax
> machine is confirming all of the ECM frames as received in good form.
> The fact that the receiver's print-out is being truncated means that
> at the point of truncation the MMR data it has is corrupted according
> to its T.6 (MMR) decoder.  The fact that the corruption occurs inside
> of the page image and not immediately below the tagline indicates that
> the majority of the tagline imaging process is okay.
>
> So, where does that leave us?
>
> The options are these...
>
> 1) there still could be an error in the source TIFF image document -
> however, this is unlikely given that you've looked at it okay and that
> it's being further processed by the tagline imaging
>
> 2) there could be some flaw in HylaFAX's T.6 decoder or encoder as it
> decodes and then re-encodes the data during the imaging process.  This
> is possible, but if it were the case I think that we'd see many more
> instances of this problem with other people
>
> 3) something could be wrong the ECM framing of the image data, but
> again, this would seem unlikely as we aren't getting these reports
> from elsewhere
>
> 4) the receiver could have a bug in its MMR decoder  -  I think that
> this is the most likely bet... but it's not guaranteed by any means.
>
> I don't think that there are really any other possibilities.
>
> Next thing to do, I would recommend that you use JobControl to limit
> your faxes to these destinations to MH and MR image data compression... no
MMR.