Re: [hylafax-users] Question about Hylafax and Multiple Users

Lee Howard wrote:

The upside to that work is that HylaFAX administrators who cannot write shell code now can easily get the most sought-after feature very quickly in a config-setting type of way. The downside to that work is that HylaFAX administrators who can write shell script just don't (possibly because they just don't know that faxrcvd can be replaced so easily) - we now see very few people writing their own faxrcvd scripts. In some ways that's a good thing, but it's also a sad thing, too.

[...]

I tend to believe that the appropriate place for these kinds of things is on a place like a "custom faxrcvd contribution repository" ... a place where users can go and hang their faxrcvd scripts for others to share and use. Maybe this is a thing more suitable to a wiki of types.

Recent work in putting reuseable code into a "bin/common-functions" script and Aidan's even more recent work (in CVS, I believe) in continuing that approach is the right thing to do, in my opinion. It slims down the default faxrcvd file, making it less formidible to replace, and puts valuable code in a place where administrators can easily reuse it for their own custom faxrcvd scripts. This is what I want to see continue: making the default faxrcvd more universally applicable while making the customizable design also more obvious.

So kind of skeleton with hooks being offered for extra processing ?
This would immediately be my suggestion. There is a lot of code already that not everyone needs or wants; all that e-mailing stuff e.g. True, faxrcvd looks slightly overloaded and more so in our case.
I am not as convinced about a faxrcvd replacers repository; rather module-based plug-in; as

source_base_config()
source_FaxDispatch()
do_OCR()
encode()
send_fax_to_FaxMaster()
send_report_to_FaxMaster()
print_to_printer()
publish()

That ought to simplify upgading as well, when you can leave your customised scripts in a directory and the most recent faxrcvd simply checks for their existence.

(Practical example: I use to modify the details that I sent to the users, and for each upgrade I need to re-modify these)

Uwe