Re: [hylafax-users] faxing html documents

A J Stiles wrote:
On Wednesday 26 July 2006 20:32, Joe wrote:
I need to send some html documents via hylafax. Here is a
quote from the hylafax website. Does this mean I can directly
fax html documents or do I have to set up some type of
converter myself?

You need to use `html2ps`, which (I think) is part of the ghostscript package. This expects HTML on STDIN and emits PostScript on STDOUT. So just pipe it into sendfax:

$ html2ps ~/public_html/index.php | sendfax -n -d 018118055

"Outgoing documents can be any format; the sendfax program uses
a rule-based definition file similar to the System V /etc/magic
file to deduce document types and to decide how to convert each
document to a form suitable for transmission (either PostScript"

That's right: there's a file /etc/hylafax/typerules, which Hylafax uses to determine what type of file a file is and how best to deal with it. Adding a line something like

0 string <html> ps html2ps <%i >%o

ought to do it. Of course, if you installed Hylafax from an .rpm or .deb file, then your OS distributor may already have inserted typerules for HTML and other document types (although they may be commented out). So check this file first.

Very good information! Thank you!!!